Skip to main content

First Sighting


By this point in my life I’d flown enough to have seen the world through a wider lens than afforded on a car trip.  I’d seen the tree tops, fields and mountains from an airplane window, but flying to an island, looking out the window and seeing effectively what looked like nothing was an eye opening experience.  Water is pretty featureless from 35,000 feet.  Just black as far in all directions as you can see.  It really drove home the reality of how huge the ocean is, and the world by extension and how small we are in comparison.  There is a lot to see out there and I was seeing a small bit of it for the first time.

After five hours of the featureless, blackness our destination appeared as a disruption to the nothingness on the horizon.  The earth started to poke its rocky, tree covered dermis forth from the water.  The black water started to turn to dark blue giving away to ever lighter hues of blue.  The outline of the land looked like the piping of a sofa cushion in a contrasting white.  At first I could see miles of coastline and could see it curve back towards the horizon, a clue this coastline is not just one long continental edge.  This was indeed an island surrounded by water.   Contrasted against the clear blue sky and illuminated by the tropical sun were massive bleached white billowy clouds hanging over the land.  The earth rose up as the 747 slowly descended, the foam of wave caps became apparent, and the narrow white island boarder revealed itself to be beaches which grew wider and merged with the aqua and sapphire waters.  In some spots I could see into the water and I strained to see anything remarkable, but saw nothing below the surface.  On the surface though were a few sailboats.  I was in Hawaii!

Exotically Different

The air was thick and warm and we were overdressed.  In our pass riding attire there was no disguising we were tourist.  All we needed was a camera hanging around our necks and map in our hand.  I figured the locals were the ones in shorts, sandals and floral short sleeve shirts.  A much more practical wardrobe.  I’d never see so many flowery shirts in my life.  

My father hailed a cab outside of baggage claim, we piled in, my father up front, me, my sister, and mom in the back.  I had a window seat and took every advantage of it.  My head turning left to right, up and down as we made our way from the airport to the Waikiki area of Honolulu.  Honolulu, on the island of Oahu and the capital of Hawaii, was not initially what I expected a tropical land to look like but it was vastly different compared to where I was half a day ago in Maryland.  The oaks were replaced by palm trees, there were scrubs with huge colorful flowers and all this was intermixed with a busy metropolis filled with cars, trucks, buildings and people.  While it wasn’t the tropical jungles I thought I’d be seeing it was all very exciting and I was filled with the anticipation of what else there was to see and experience.  I do like different and variety.

Even in 1970 Waikiki, located on the south side of Oahu, was a collection of tall buildings, mostly hotels.  Washington, DC was my primary reference for a large city with its sprawling open plazas, few tall buildings and architectural features that, well, looked as if they were all designed by one firm, in contrast Waikiki felt like a canyon.  The towering hotels, closely packed together, made the street level shady and dark and the tropical trees and bushes that lined streets created the illusion of being in a jungle valley.  The iconic images from post cards and travel brochures of white sand beaches and the dormant volcano Diamond Head were not apparent until you were actually on the beach.

I’d been to one beach, seen one ocean; Ocean City Beach on the Atlantic Ocean coast of Maryland. Number two, was Waikiki beach, lined with palm trees and the blue water with a view of a volcano, now that was a beach.  That was what tropical paradises are supposed to look like and it didn’t disappoint and I was forever spoiled.  The seed of an explorer, a seeker of the different, was firmly planted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agnes Martin, Artist? That is such BULLSHIT!

I didn't have any intent to blog today.  Then I saw the GOOGLE doodle for today, a set of vertical colored stripes.  Since I use several computers, but only one do I stay logged in on my Google account I figured the other computers were just not showing the image correctly.  This seems to have been the case in the past when these Google doodles have animation.  I went to my computer logged into Google, but no movement when I moved my mouse over the image.  So I clicked on the image.   This led me to all the associated links and discussions of what this doodle was celebrating Agnes Martin. This is some of the first text I read: Agnes Bernice Martin was a Canadian-American abstract painter, often referred to as a minimalist; Martin considered herself an abstract expressionist. She was awarded a National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1998" from Wikipedia.  I continued to look at more images.  It seems all this women painted was lines and stripes, verti

Recycling - Isn't Everything Able To Be Recycled?

worm, worm hole, time travel, fruits, apple sauce, Boon, cartoons, cartoonist for hire, one guy drawing,doodles Recycling is something I do and believe in.   We have so much to recycle that we had to upgrade from the tiny bin provided by the garbage company to a full blown roll away garbage can.  I think I can do more. I pay attention to what I'm throwing away and began to notice just about everything I put in the trash could be recycled.  How is that? Well, you can recycle paper, glass, metal, and plastic, so think about it, other than food, what isn't made of one of those four things.  Yea I know there are some specific things recycling doesn't want, which baffles me if it isn't good enough to recycle why the hell do we want it buried in a land fill, that's a topic for another day, but in general most everyday things are one of those four materials.  So why don't I just recycle everything?  Mainly it is because I keep my small recycling bin outside my back kit

Battle of Inner Personalities - Have My Failures Lead to My Success?

 I've got a real strong creative urge going on the last few days.  Which should be a blessing but it is in complete conflict with my stern, task master of practicality...work needs to be done to make money.  Oh, the money thing again.  Yea, the money thing and the creative thing are battling it out.  I'm completely out of sync right now.  Here I am typing away while just off my right shoulder sits my laptop suspended in mid-task, waiting for me to complete something more directly related to financial survival.  All I want to do is paint something, create something.  Anything, I don't care. I used to dream of wealth, and a flamboyant life style I've seen in movies and actually participated in on occasion as being the norm in my life.  But now I can't imagine what it would be like to live that way, how weird it seems, how alien.  I might be caught saying or thinking that things just didn't work out.  I had this thought today that from other's perspective my li