Skip to main content

Sales - A Job For The Stupid


I'm too smart for sales.  Well that is what I've been told more than once in my career.  The first time I heard it was right after I got my test scores for the licenses I have to have to do what I do.  The office manager, the guy who hired me, leaned over my cube wall and said, "You got the highest score anyone in the office has gotten.  There's an inverse relationship between success here and test score."   I kid you not that was my first motivational speech from my leader.  The same sentiment has been shared with me over the years by colleagues or other "supervisors".

Hair styles for women.  Be glad I'm not Vidal.  Boon, cartoons,
cartoonist for hire, boondawgoggle, doodles
Well, here's how stupid I am.  I never listened to any of those observations, and I continue to trudge along after 25 years.  I just can't get my head around the idea of how the hell someone can be too smart for anything?  Smart was never a word used to describe me growing up.  I barely made it out of school.  I struggled every year.  If I was so smart wouldn't school of come easy?  It never did.  I test horribly on standardized test.  If I was smart wouldn't they be a breeze?  They aren't.  In the case of school I eventually did good in college hitting deans list every quarter my last two years, but that was through pure pressing my nose to the grind stone and busting my ass.  The standardized test thing still never yielded to hard work.  I took the GRE, GMAT and LSAT and never scored much better than average.  I spent an entire summer doing nothing but part-time work and study for the LSAT to no avail.  Now, test that I can study for, I can crank on those, as evidenced by my licensing exams (I hold about 8 different licences and scored high on all of them).  I'm definitely not smart enough to figure out how a stupid guy like me can be called smart.

Cute creature getting freaky, sexy, hulk, no buck teeth.
Boon, cartoons,cartoonist for hire, boondawgoggle, doodles
The only way I can reconcile other people's observations or impression of me is I'm just the least stupid person in a profession of stupid people.  That is something I can get my head around, but I'm still not less stupid enough to figure out why it is bad or how to become more stupid.  All I really know is if I am smart, and this is how stupid smart feels, then I wish I was stupid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agnes Martin, Artist? That is such BULLSHIT!

I didn't have any intent to blog today.  Then I saw the GOOGLE doodle for today, a set of vertical colored stripes.  Since I use several computers, but only one do I stay logged in on my Google account I figured the other computers were just not showing the image correctly.  This seems to have been the case in the past when these Google doodles have animation.  I went to my computer logged into Google, but no movement when I moved my mouse over the image.  So I clicked on the image.   This led me to all the associated links and discussions of what this doodle was celebrating Agnes Martin. This is some of the first text I read: Agnes Bernice Martin was a Canadian-American abstract painter, often referred to as a minimalist; Martin considered herself an abstract expressionist. She was awarded a National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1998" from Wikipedia.  I continued to look at more images.  It seems all this women painte...

First Sighting

By this point in my life I’d flown enough to have seen the world through a wider lens than afforded on a car trip.  I’d seen the tree tops, fields and mountains from an airplane window, but flying to an island, looking out the window and seeing effectively what looked like nothing was an eye opening experience.  Water is pretty featureless from 35,000 feet.  Just black as far in all directions as you can see.  It really drove home the reality of how huge the ocean is, and the world by extension and how small we are in comparison.  There is a lot to see out there and I was seeing a small bit of it for the first time. After five hours of the featureless, blackness our destination appeared as a disruption to the nothingness on the horizon.  The earth started to poke its rocky, tree covered dermis forth from the water.  The black water started to turn to dark blue giving away to ever lighter hues of blue.  The outline of the land looked like the pip...

Exercising Obsessed Mom Can't Handle The Truth

One of my Facebook "friends" started posting her daily workout status.  She established earlier on that she was going to challenge herself to do some workout every day for 30 days in a row.  The entire month of November.  I followed these post and noticed there were some who would comment the expected comments, "way to go", "keep it up", "whew, you are making me tired"...all well deserved, but no one was giving her the kind of comments that might inspire her to push harder, like: "is that all you got?", "hmm, only 10 miles", "come on get back in the gym and off FB!" There did come a day when she posted she was not able to workout due to some conflict.   And still no real comments to motivate her.  This post got me to thinking, what was the intent behind her post?  Was it to keep herself on track.  Was it to publicly "brag" or "show off" (felt that was unlikely).  Was it hoped to receive some accou...