Skip to main content

Want to Be Rich? Shut Your Mouth

Boon, cartoons,  cartoonist for hire,
Boondawgoggle, doodle,one guy drawing
Are you poor because you make stupid choices?   In my case I think so.  At least one area.  

I read a study the other day in REP. March 2014, Habits Rich and Poor, done by Thomas Corley, and quoted from Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals, 2010.  Although they are referred to as habits they seem more like decision or philosophies of living.  There were 10 categories: Early Birds, Goal Setting, Accountability, Self Improvement, Networking, Exercise, Junk Food, Self Restraint, Gambling, Gossiping and TV habits.   I don't think it would take a genius to figure out that rich people do less of  what normally could be understood to be bad things and more of the things that could be understood as good things. 

As I reviewed each habit for the most part I considered myself falling into the category of "rich", and then I came to the habit, Self Restraint.  This is defined as saying what's on your mind.  Evidently only 6% of "rich" speak their mind's where 69% of poor do.  This is the one category that upon honest self evaluation I have to say I like to speak my mind.  I like to speak my mind so much even when I tell myself I'm not going to say anything it nearly never happens.  I just have to say what I'm thinking.  I don't have to get the last word in mind you, but if I have a strong enough opinion on something I'm going  to share it.  I'm not a know it all by far, but I want to ferret out the facts and have no problem stating the facts as I know them to be and openly challenge you to present your facts.  If you can disprove my facts I'm happy to capitulate.

I thought this idea for a comic strip where all the panels are
underwater scenes.  Then thought what would happen
if a panel leaked.  Baseball, inner city play is tough.
Boon, cartoons, cartoonist for hire, Boondawgoggle,
one guy drawing, doodles
Now if this study is accurate, perhaps this poor habit is what has held me back in the corporate world.  I'm pretty sure I've rubbed some people wrong by expressing my opinion even if it didn't jive with the highest ranking individual in the room.  Actually coming out of college, and until I read this article, I believed this to be a sought after trait.  The more I thought about this the more I could point to or remember executives and managers I've either worked with or meet that always left me scratching my head as to how the hell did they reach the level they did.  They never seemed too "out of the box", out spoken or intelligent.  They mostly seemed like milk toast, marshmallow, yes men.  But maybe that is the secret.  Just go along, get along, and move along up the ladder.  I guess having your own mind is not really a characteristic the corporate world is seeking.  I guess all their mission, vision and employee hiring statements are just a bit of a lie.

Baffled? I'm going to have to speak my mind here. Yes I'm baffled.  How can it be that the rich are able to get through life without rarely sharing their thoughts?  How the hell do new ideas ever develop?  Does it take that one outlier to stir things up, garner consciences and then surround themselves with a protective shielding of yes men, who only succeed financially because they were stupid but yet smart enough to ride some one's coat tails.  Do  we really live in a world where 92% of rich people only want to say what everyone else is saying or hear nothing other than that which doesn't  challenge their own opinions?

Scary.  Very scary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agnes Martin, Artist? That is such BULLSHIT!

I didn't have any intent to blog today.  Then I saw the GOOGLE doodle for today, a set of vertical colored stripes.  Since I use several computers, but only one do I stay logged in on my Google account I figured the other computers were just not showing the image correctly.  This seems to have been the case in the past when these Google doodles have animation.  I went to my computer logged into Google, but no movement when I moved my mouse over the image.  So I clicked on the image.   This led me to all the associated links and discussions of what this doodle was celebrating Agnes Martin. This is some of the first text I read: Agnes Bernice Martin was a Canadian-American abstract painter, often referred to as a minimalist; Martin considered herself an abstract expressionist. She was awarded a National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1998" from Wikipedia.  I continued to look at more images.  It seems all this women painte...

First Sighting

By this point in my life I’d flown enough to have seen the world through a wider lens than afforded on a car trip.  I’d seen the tree tops, fields and mountains from an airplane window, but flying to an island, looking out the window and seeing effectively what looked like nothing was an eye opening experience.  Water is pretty featureless from 35,000 feet.  Just black as far in all directions as you can see.  It really drove home the reality of how huge the ocean is, and the world by extension and how small we are in comparison.  There is a lot to see out there and I was seeing a small bit of it for the first time. After five hours of the featureless, blackness our destination appeared as a disruption to the nothingness on the horizon.  The earth started to poke its rocky, tree covered dermis forth from the water.  The black water started to turn to dark blue giving away to ever lighter hues of blue.  The outline of the land looked like the pip...

Exercising Obsessed Mom Can't Handle The Truth

One of my Facebook "friends" started posting her daily workout status.  She established earlier on that she was going to challenge herself to do some workout every day for 30 days in a row.  The entire month of November.  I followed these post and noticed there were some who would comment the expected comments, "way to go", "keep it up", "whew, you are making me tired"...all well deserved, but no one was giving her the kind of comments that might inspire her to push harder, like: "is that all you got?", "hmm, only 10 miles", "come on get back in the gym and off FB!" There did come a day when she posted she was not able to workout due to some conflict.   And still no real comments to motivate her.  This post got me to thinking, what was the intent behind her post?  Was it to keep herself on track.  Was it to publicly "brag" or "show off" (felt that was unlikely).  Was it hoped to receive some accou...