Skip to main content

Don't Vaccinate? You Deserve Whatever You Get. You Knew The Risk.

I've been listening to the news stories regarding the recent outbreak of measles.  Most of the commentary seems to be focused on the minority population; for example California says 2.5% opt out, that has decided not to have their kid vaccinated.  What has me stumped is why are there schools shutting down completely?  What you hear is they are attempting to avoid an outbreak of major proportions.  I just don't get it.

How could there be an outbreak of any major proportions if the majority of kids have received the vaccination?  It just seems counter intuitive to isolate and effectively quarantine a whole school population who is supposed to be protected because there is a minority population that has foregone the protection.

Isn't the potential of getting infected the risk you take if you don't vaccinate?  So the only people getting infected are the ones who took on that risk.  So be it, that is what they signed up for isn't it?  Yes, I've heard their are a few in the population who can't receive any vaccinations due to a compromised immune system.  Those kids who have had some kinds of cancer or organ transplants are typically the one you hear about.  For these kids I agree, let them stay at home, but even if 100% of the population had been vaccinated there are diseases that could  infect floating around.  You can't guarantee protection from them all.

This just seems like another instance where the government sees fit to interject itself into our lives, eliminating any personal choice or placing the burden of risk on our shoulders.  They seem hell bent on removing any self responsibility from society,  These attempts to control always seem to be driven by very small percentages.  Again by example, Californians have been given the information to decide and the right to opt out and still 97.5% of them get the vaccinations.  How can you not be happy with that level of participation?  Why does it have to be 100%? But noooo, governments see fit to insist that it must control 100%.

The old saying, "You made your bed, now sleep in it."  comes to mind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agnes Martin, Artist? That is such BULLSHIT!

I didn't have any intent to blog today.  Then I saw the GOOGLE doodle for today, a set of vertical colored stripes.  Since I use several computers, but only one do I stay logged in on my Google account I figured the other computers were just not showing the image correctly.  This seems to have been the case in the past when these Google doodles have animation.  I went to my computer logged into Google, but no movement when I moved my mouse over the image.  So I clicked on the image.   This led me to all the associated links and discussions of what this doodle was celebrating Agnes Martin. This is some of the first text I read: Agnes Bernice Martin was a Canadian-American abstract painter, often referred to as a minimalist; Martin considered herself an abstract expressionist. She was awarded a National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1998" from Wikipedia.  I continued to look at more images.  It seems all this women painte...

First Sighting

By this point in my life I’d flown enough to have seen the world through a wider lens than afforded on a car trip.  I’d seen the tree tops, fields and mountains from an airplane window, but flying to an island, looking out the window and seeing effectively what looked like nothing was an eye opening experience.  Water is pretty featureless from 35,000 feet.  Just black as far in all directions as you can see.  It really drove home the reality of how huge the ocean is, and the world by extension and how small we are in comparison.  There is a lot to see out there and I was seeing a small bit of it for the first time. After five hours of the featureless, blackness our destination appeared as a disruption to the nothingness on the horizon.  The earth started to poke its rocky, tree covered dermis forth from the water.  The black water started to turn to dark blue giving away to ever lighter hues of blue.  The outline of the land looked like the pip...

Exercising Obsessed Mom Can't Handle The Truth

One of my Facebook "friends" started posting her daily workout status.  She established earlier on that she was going to challenge herself to do some workout every day for 30 days in a row.  The entire month of November.  I followed these post and noticed there were some who would comment the expected comments, "way to go", "keep it up", "whew, you are making me tired"...all well deserved, but no one was giving her the kind of comments that might inspire her to push harder, like: "is that all you got?", "hmm, only 10 miles", "come on get back in the gym and off FB!" There did come a day when she posted she was not able to workout due to some conflict.   And still no real comments to motivate her.  This post got me to thinking, what was the intent behind her post?  Was it to keep herself on track.  Was it to publicly "brag" or "show off" (felt that was unlikely).  Was it hoped to receive some accou...